One of the most fascinating and impactful things I learned during my time studying at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition was how important the link was between well-functioning digestion and good health.
Proper digestion is the key to to abundant good health.
Eighty percent of our immune system cells reside in our “gut”. The actual digestive process begins in our mouth (chewing) and ends in the nus (excretion). It is an automatic process that we really don’t give much thought to, until something goes wrong. The list of disorders related to compromised digestion is long:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn’s / Colitis)
Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
-5 Simple Steps to Optimize Digestion-
The Standard American Diet (SAD) is a breeding ground for digestive breakdown. When we rush to eat lunch at our desks, or grab coffee and a muffin at a drive thru, we are setting ourselves up for digestive problems. The myriad of digestive problems lead to inflammation, which leads to disease.
- Eat well. Simply nourish your body with good quality foods, consisting of whole, fresh choices. Avoid processed food as much as possible.
- Choose fruits and vegetables. They are chock full of amazing vitamins and fibre.
- Hydrate! Drink lots of water. It helps flush waste from our system.
- Be mindful of how, when and where you eat, not to mention WHY.
- HOW – Take the time, slow down – plan and select your food choices mindfully. Chew your food carefully. This small action kicks off a series of events involved in proper digestion.
- WHEN – Do not eat under duress. Stress shuts down digestion. Enjoy your food.
- WHY – Examine your motivation for eating. Hunger and enjoyment should be a the top of the list. Stress, at the bottom.
In my work with clients, I have found that improved digestion is one of the quickest and most life changing benefits of an improved diet. Some symptoms of digestive upset may include things like:
- abdominal pain
- nausea (with or without vomiting)
- an increase in bowel movements
- loose stool or diarrhea
- body aches
- chills (with or without fever)
Some less obvious symptoms might include:
- difficulty losing weight
- cravings for sweets
- mood swings
- lack of satiety (or, feeling like you are always hungry)
A small change in how someone eats can garner something as significant as a complete elimination of heartburn.
Here is a digestion boosting smoothie recipe to enjoy! Easing digestive distress isn’t only about removing things from our diet, it is also about adding nutrient support designed to nourish and strengthen our digestive system.
Tropical Delight Smoothie
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup papaya (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup pineapple (fresh or frozen)
2 tbsp hemp hearts
2 tsp fish oil
1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
(If you are not cuckoo for coconut milk, just swap out for your preferred milk).
- Blend all ingredients except coconut flakes together in high speed blender.
- Option to sprinkle coconut flakes on top.
The papaya and pineapple in this smoothie recipe contain special enzymes that help with digestion.
If you are experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms and would like some help figuring out what steps to take to improve your digestion, let’s schedule a complimentary 15 minute “discovery call” to see how I might be able to help you with your digestive concerns, and get you on the path to improved health. Click here for contact info. 15 MINUTE DISCOVERY CALL OR SKYPE