What happens to our bodies when we sleep is nothing short of a miracle.
Our bodies are busy restoring, detoxing, and regenerating without us even being consciously aware of it.
We all know how important sleep is, but unfortunately, so many of us struggle with getting the solid 6-8 hours we need every night. Not only that- but the QUALITY of sleep seems to be on the decline as well.
Here are 6 ways to improve the quality of your sleep:
- Sleeping in complete darkness. It’s important for regulating the circadian rhythm- and even small amounts of light can reduce melatonin levels and disrupt sleep. Tip: Cover all light sources, remove any unnecessary electronics, and try blackout curtains if you have windows.
- Avoid technology for at least 90 minutes before bed! This includes the computer, TV and even using your cell phone.
- Adjust your thermostat to around 65 degrees- that temperature has been shown to promote the highest quality of sleep in most people.
- Reduce the noise nearby if possible. Or- if you need some background, calming noise, try a free app called Noisli.
- Choose the right mattress! Make sure you’re getting enough support.
- Keep air inside your home clean and fresh. Studies have directly linked indoor air pollution with some of the sleeping disorders. Tip: Keep plants inside your home or try an inexpensive air filter or purifier.